Spring time is here and this is a perfect salad to make for a hot weekend day! Some of the best memories I have from Russia is being on my grandparents Dasha. Dasha is a country home were we had our own chicken, cows & grew our own fruits & vegetables. My grandma would make this vinegret for lunch and after we would go swim in the river near by. This salad is super healthy. Beets have a lot of antioxident and keep you looking young. 🙂 (just remember to also use sunscreen)
Ingredients for Russian Vinigrette: 3 medium beets
4 medium potatoes
3 medium carrots
1/2 cup sauerkraut, drained
3 medium pickles
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
How to Make Russian Vinaigrette: 1. In a medium pot, boil beets for 1 hour or until it can easily be pierced with a knife.
2. In a separate pot, boil potatoes and carrots about 30 minutes or until a knife goes smoothly through the potatoes. Don’t overcook the potatoes.
3. Drain the vegetables and refrigerate or let them stand until they cool to room temp (or cooler). *** you can do steps 1 to 3 the day before and just refrigerate until ready to use***
4. Peel the skins from the potatoes, beets and carrots.
5. Dice pickles, beets, potatoes, carrots & finely dice onion.
6. Mix together all of the ingredients. If desired, add more sauerkraut or pickles to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
I am obsessed with salads. I have a salad every single day because they are filling and make me feel happy and super healthy. 🙂 I always look for new recipes so my hubby does not get bored at dinner time. My friend Jen, who is an amazing cook, made this really tasty salad for our Sewing Circle and I had to share it.
Spring Salad Mix Spinach Heirloom Tomatoes Artichoke Hearts Roasted Bell Peppers Gorgonzola Cheese Chickpeas Dressing: wisk together fig infused vinegar, olive oil & season with salt
There is no Russian party without this salad.
There is no Russian holiday without ‘olivie’ salad. For Russians it’s as traditional as turkey at Thanksgiving table for American family!
This salad is very easy to make and its delicious
6 large potatoes
3 average carrots
1/2 lb of your choice of cooked meat (beef or chicken) or mushrooms (vegetarian version) or shrimps (seafood version)
1/2 can of sweet green peas or you can use frozen peas
salt and pepper
mayonaise or sour cream
Boil potatoes, carrots, and eggs.
Peel and cut all the vegetables in small cubes. Cut pickles. Chop your choice of meat, chicken, mushrooms or shrimps.
Mix everything together. Add peas.
Season with mayonaise or sour cream.
Add salt and pepper for your taste.