Spring time is here and this is a perfect salad to make for a hot weekend day! Some of the best memories I have from Russia is being on my grandparents Dasha. Dasha is a country home were we had our own chicken, cows & grew our own fruits & vegetables. My grandma would make this vinegret for lunch and after we would go swim in the river near by. This salad is super healthy. Beets have a lot of antioxident and keep you looking young. 🙂 (just remember to also use sunscreen)
Ingredients for Russian Vinigrette:
3 medium beets
4 medium potatoes
3 medium carrots
1/2 cup sauerkraut, drained
3 medium pickles
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
How to Make Russian Vinaigrette:
1. In a medium pot, boil beets for 1 hour or until it can easily be pierced with a knife.
2. In a separate pot, boil potatoes and carrots about 30 minutes or until a knife goes smoothly through the potatoes. Don’t overcook the potatoes.
3. Drain the vegetables and refrigerate or let them stand until they cool to room temp (or cooler). *** you can do steps 1 to 3 the day before and just refrigerate until ready to use***
4. Peel the skins from the potatoes, beets and carrots.
5. Dice pickles, beets, potatoes, carrots & finely dice onion.
6. Mix together all of the ingredients. If desired, add more sauerkraut or pickles to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.